Grilled Cornish Hens
This recipe is so simple. All you need is
- 1 Cornish hen(serves two)
- 1 lemon
- Lots of kosher salt(about a teaspoon)
- freshly cracked black pepper
- and a handful of fresh herbs such as parsley, sage, basil and thyme
- Using a heavy knife or kitchen sears cut the bird into fourths removing the back and any obvious back rib bones. DO not throw away! you can make a stock with them!
- season the bird with salt and pepper add lemon juice and herbs.
- prepare the grill. I like to get it really hot and then put it down to low. You do not want the fire so hot that the fat from the skin burns —the secret is a slow heat.
- Place the pieces skin side down for 5 minutes, close lid.
- Flip for another 10- 15 minutes, close lid.
- then flip again for another 5 minutes.
Written By Ulla on July 30, 2009