Comfort food was the name of the game last night. I made this delicious penne beef casserole topped with cheese, using beef from the farm. Trust me, frozen ground beef is one of the best things to have in your freezer because you always have a healthy, easy dinner in your freezer. All you need to do is defrost it in a bowl of water for an hour. If you are pressed for time, run a bit of water over the bowl in your sink. We had a bumper crop of peppers to use in this satisfying bake. My secret was lots of black pepper and a bit of Worcestershire sauce.
In other news, I have soft launched a buying club here on the South Shore of Nassau County, Long Island. I am very excited! If you are interested in purchasing meat from my family’s farm or want to learn how to cook grass-fed and pastured meat, please join here!
BEEF PENNE BAKE
- 1 (16-oz) box of gluten free penne pasta – cooked & drained
- 1 pound grass-fed ground beef
- olive oil to sauté vegetables
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 (24 ounces) jar of marinara sauce ( I don’t like to use metal cans so I splurge on organic tomato sauce if I am making something quick like this)
- 1/4 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan
- salt and pepper to taste
- parsley to garnish (only if you have it on hand)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Begin boiling water for pasta and cook using package directions.
- Meanwhile, dice the onion, garlic, green and red bell peppers.
- In a skillet, saute the vegetables on a medium heat for at least 10 minutes, until fragrant and soft. Season with sea salt.
- Add beef and brown it, breaking into chunks with a wooden spoon. Season liberally with freshly cracked pepper and salt.
- Add marinara.
- In a 9×13 pan, mix the cooked and drained penne with the meat sauce and then top with the cheeses.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is melted and browned in some areas.
Written By Ulla on November 17, 2013