It has been just over a year since we moved to Valley Stream on the South Shore of Long Island. I am still getting my barrings. One of the highlights of living here is the diversity of our town, there are numerous Haitian, South Asian and Latin American, Caribbean immigrants here. There are Great South Asian markets and a few halal butchers too. South Indian food like the region is diverse. Pakistani food is similar to Indian food, however they eat far more meat(up to three times more) and their dishes are characteristically rich, filling and flavorful. I found a youtube video with a Pakistani beefy curry recipe and was intrigued because the only curry spices they used was turmeric and fresh green chili peppers. The result was an intensely rich, subtly flavored dish. Elegant too, and it offers an easy weekday meal if you are getting beef stew meat packages in your meatshare!
This is also a great summer beef stew recipe. Another is beef stew with summer herbs that can be found here.
Pakistani Beef Curry
The recipe can be found here.
My adaption of momskitchen2011’s recipe
- 1/2 cup olive oil(this is a lot of olive oil but it really adds a decadence to the dish you can also lesson the amount for a lighter version)
- 2 pounds of beef stew meat
- 3 large onions, halved and sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1-1inch piece of ginger
- 5- plum tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- cayenne pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- two handfuls of fresh coriander
- In a heavy bottomed pot add olive oil and heat at a medium high heat. Add sliced onion, saute until soft, about 15 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger, then add tomato halves.
- In another skillet brown the stew meat. Reserve.
- If you can remove the tomato skins with tongs.
- Add turmeric, beef, salt. De glaze the beef skillet with some water. Add to pot.
- Simmer for at least two hours.
- Season with hot pepper, adjust seasoning.
- Just before serving garnish generously fresh coriander and serve with rice or bread or even boiled potatoes.
Written By Ulla on June 23, 2014