I made Korean fried chicken last night. It was a lot of work, and really tasty but the fermented Watermelon radish that I fermented to accompany the chicken stole the show. I will be definitively making this once our CSA starts up again.
I have gone completely fermenting mad. It’s official, I love to ferment. So much so I have been buying fermentation jars on sale despite not have any counter-tops. (we are currently redoing our kitchen all by ourselves).
The best part about the fermented watermelon radishes is the incredibly perfect ruby color they take on once they are fully fermented. Such a beautiful gift from the garden in the middle of winter.
Fermented Watermelon Radishes
- 4 watermelon radishes
- 2 cups filtered water
- 2-4 teaspoons of un refined sea salt
- two garlic cloves (grated)
- 1-1/2 piece of ginger, grated
- Slice the radish skin on, place into a glass jar that has a lid.
- Mix the filtered water with the salt(you can adjust the salt to your liking), garlic and ginger
- pour over the radishes and place the lid on the jar and ferment for 1-2 weeks(I leave the ferments on my kitchen counter for a week or two and then put it in the fridge).
- The best way to know if your ferment is ready is to taste as you go!
Written By Ulla on February 25, 2014