My parents made a meat delivery over the weekend and brought me a lot of eggs. Even though this spring has been almost arctic up at the farm, the chickens, because of the longer days, are laying eggs. Lots of eggs! At our local market here on Long Island, they have a lot of asparagus available, which is coming from far warmer places than New York State, but soon it will be in season here too. And I really recommend this simple recipe that highlights the gifts of spring: eggs and asparagus.
This recipe is extra quick because you boil the asparagus in the same pot as the pasta. You don’t need to tell anyone how easy it is because it tastes like a fancy pasta dish from a restaurant. This recipe was husband approved.
Asparagus Vegetarian “Carbonara”
- 1/2 pound egg papperdelle pasta ( used trader joes brand)
- half a bunch of asparagus, tips snapped and cut into pieces
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 pastured eggs, whisked
- Bring a pasta pot to boil, salt water
- meanwhile in a skillet gently melt the butter and saute the garlic, keep warm
- when the water comes to a boil, boil the pasta for ten minutes
- when you have four minutes left, add the asparagus to the boiling water
- in a bowl mix eggs, then add the Parmesan cheese to the egg mixture
- when the pasta and asparagus is done, toss it in butter and garlic pan, then pour the egg and Parmesan mixture over the pasta
- toss with vigor