You will hear a lot of folks say, “A good steak only needs salt.” This is definitely true, and my mother insists on cooking our skirt steak with salt only. There are few who will cook short ribs with salt only, yet my mother does, and it’s my favorite home cooked meal! You have to like grass fed beef fat to enjoy this dish, and we serve it simply with steamed potatoes or rice. Pour the juices and fat over the potatoes and rice. It’s good…
The short rib is close to the chuck, arguably the most flavorful of all beef cuts. It becomes meltingly tender when braised, and because the short rib has a bone it adds a wonderful beefy flavor to the sauce.
the grand finale! great with simply boiled potatoes or rice!
- Two pounds of beef short ribs
- Salt and pepper
- Four cups of water
- Cut the short ribs midway between the bones
- Season with sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Brown the short ribs well in a Dutch oven.
- Add four cups of water and simmer (covered) for 3 hours.
- Make sure that most, but not all, of the water evaporates.
- You can let them brown again if you like a crispy sear.
- Serve with rice or steamed potatoes and the pan sauce