Zucchini is one of those vegetables I could eat for dinner every day for a whole week. Must be a throw back from my youth when we actually did eat zucchini every night for the month of august. It just makes me feel like it is summer. A secret to make the zucchini seem different is to cook it for a long time in olive oil until it becomes caramelized. It gets soft and sweet. Supposedly this is how the Italians do it for pasta, so I do it this way too. It is excellent in this fried rice dish which can be served for dinner or lunch with a nice salad and you have yourself a feast!
Fried Rice with Zucchini, Sweet Onion and Corn
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2 cups water
cook as you would normally
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic
- one ear of corn, cooked and cut of cob
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce(i use gluten-free)
- 3 eggs(i like it eggy)
- Prepare the rice as you normally would. Meanwhile, dice the zucchini, if the corn is not cooked you will want to boil water to cook it or microwave the corn.
- In a large heavy pan you want to saute on a medium heat the zucchini until it is soft and almost caramelized. I like to do this for almost 15 minutes so that they get really soft.
- Add onions, garlic 10 minutes in.
- Add rice, eggs and soy sauce. Mix throughout and cook. Enjoy!