- 3-4 soft shell crabs, very fresh(best live) and cleaned
- 1/4 cup corn or potato starch
- 1/4 cup flour(I used a gluten free Bob’s Mill flour but your own mix is fine too)
- 1/4 cup seltzer water plus 2 tablespoons or until it is smooth. Be careful it goes from lumpy to wet very quickly!
- 1 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 garlic cloves sliced,
- 1 green hot chili(just as jalapeno)
- Canola oil to fry
Equipment: I love, love my fry daddy. It is so easy and uses less oil then frying it on your stove. I have fond memories of my mother and I making shrimp tempura together with our fry daddy. So easy and fun.
- Ok so heat up some oil. I use canola. About 3-4 cups.
- Then, mix the flour and starch together. Add pepper and salt and then add the seltzer.
- Dip the craps into the hot oil and fry until crispy. You will want to do batches. Do not crowd them folks!
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Briefly fry garlic and chilies.
- This goes REALLY well with a chilled floral white wine! Yum! My new favorite value is Ironstone’s 2008 Obsession Symphony
Crispy Salt and Pepper Soft Shell Crab
Truth be told, if you are going to make soft shell crab I recommend sauteing it over deep frying but if you are gluten free like we are in my home then this crispy batter is a real treat. I love soft shell crab and I love salt and pepper squid that has become really popular at Chinese restaurants and I thought putting them together would be perfect. I certainly prefer them gently sauteed in butter because it brings out the subtle ocean flavors in the crab but this is a great alternative to sauteing them in butter and because soft shell crab are in season why not try a few preparations? Serve this dish with rice and a stir fried Chinese cabbage and you have yourself a Chinese feast!