MY WINE CHALLENGE! I want to explore paring wine with grass-fed beef and want to enlist the help of wine companies. I will be fully disclosing what wine I get free, and the advice I have receive. My hope is to learn about grass-fed beef flavor profiles and also to learn from the wine industry. I feel there is a great similarity between American grass-fed beef producers today and wine makers of the seventies. There is potential to create a truly American and artisanal product and producers like my family are learning the ropes as we go, in many ways, it is a great experiment. I hope this challenge will make my family better beef producers as I wish to learn more about flavor profiles and wine pairings. I will be incorporating my thoughts and education in a series of blog posts.
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced and mashed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 Top Sirloin, Blade or Bottom Round Roast(about 3 pounds)
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Meanwhile create rub with minced garlic, thyme, and kosher salt and olive oil, massage over meat.
- Set aside and bring to room temperature(about 20 minutes).
- Roast in hot oven for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 300 and cook for another 30-40 minutes. You want the internal temp at about 120-130. Let rest for 20 minutes under aluminum foil.
Easy Apple Crumb Cake
Cinnamon Crumb Topping:
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ cup flour
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup melted butter (half of a stick)
5 small apples or 3 apples, peeled and diced
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup butter (the other half of the butter)
- ¾ cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- To make the toppings melt butter and mix the dry ingredients into the butter until it becomes crumbly.
- Peel and dice the apples.
For the cake batter:
- beat the sugar and butter together until smooth, add egg and beat, add the flour and milk in small batches until smooth.
- In a spring form 9 inch cake pan use butter wrappers to grease the pan, add half the batter to the pan than half the apples, and half the crumb topping, and repeat.
- Cook for 50 minutes, serve with fresh whipped cream.