Grass-fed Kielbasa, sweet and sour cabbage and oven roasted russet wedges.
As a kid I never went on vacation with my parent’s because they were tied to the responsibilities of the farm but I was lucky enough to visit Iceland with my grandparent’s somewhat regularly. When my grandfather passed away I went with my grandmother and we would share many an afternoon shopping, talking and cooking. She was an excellent cook, and cooked with an effortless efficiency that always showcased ingredients without any fuss. One of her favorites, which would also become mine, was sweet and sour cabbage. It is as good with dinner as it is with lunch and I love how well it compliments sausage. What I love most about this combination is that it makes traditionally heavy ingredients fresh, fulfilling and surprisingly light.
Sweet and Sour Cabbage
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 head small red cabbage(about 1-1.5lbs)
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- salt to taste
- Cut cabbage in half. Slice very, very thinly.
- In a dutch oven melt butter.
- Sautee cabbage for 5 minutes.
- Add sugar, then vinegar simmer at a very low heat for 40 minutes.
- Season and enjoy!